Monday 6 August 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

Hello my friends! Hope everyone's having a lovely reading week!


The only book I've read this week is part two of the Fifty Shades series, Fifty Shades Darker:


Although it is a highly sought after series for its titillating content, the reality is, this is the story of a blossoming romance in romantic settings. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a lot of raunchy sex scenes and the f word is used quite a bit, but I found I could see past all that to the storyline, which is actually riveting. (Loving the cover too!)

After the first book, which is essentially about how Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele meet, and begin their relationship, book two has them realising they might actually be in love, and we follow them as they enjoy  expensive restaurants, masquerade balls, drive luxurious cars and wear exquisite clothing. It's all very Pretty Woman! Then it gets serious, with a  few stalkerish characters, including a couple of Christian's exes, and Anastasia's boss, and some visits to Christian's shrink to find out more about Christian's past and his obsessive behaviours. 

The worst thing about this series is the over-use of phrases like "you're biting your lip again, Miss Steele," and "he cocked his head to one side." There are many other repetitive phrases, and it is very annoying to read them over and over. I'm wondering what the editor was doing when they were meant to be 
refining the book??

However, I have found the storyline to be highly engaging, and it doesn't hurt to read a few sex scenes - they are in most adult fiction books anyway. In fact, there were a few scenes that I skimmed over 
to get to the story again!

I'm looking forward to the next instalment which I will be reading this week, 
in which one of the stalkerish characters really gets scary!


I'm joining up with Sheila at Book Journey to see what everyone else is reading:


Have a fun week!

xx

20 comments:

  1. I still have to read these books, must start soon. I am reading The boy who climbs into my bedroom window by Kirsty Moseley - its a real good read ill have to do a review once I have finished

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry confusing you - using my different address = )

      Delete
    2. It's hard not to end up with different addresses for all the different social media! I like the title of the book you're reading - sounds quirky. :)

      Delete
  2. I think they were probably more focused on getting the book out there than editing.

    Have a great reading week!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd out

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I know I enjoyed them in spite of editing issues and annoying phrases ... glad to see you are too.
    Have a great week and happy reading :)

    PS I love the pictures you put up each week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of squeezing a different book in, before I read the third part of the series, but I read the first page of the third book and thought, gotta read this now!

      Glad you like the pics.:)

      Delete
  4. My book club read the first Fifty Shades but I have not read the following two yet. I look forward to reading your thoughts on them.
    Happy Reading!
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely read on! In the second book the minor characters become much more complex and interesting. Makes for fast-paced reading! :)

      Delete
  5. It takes a special talent to make often used phrases an important part of the story - sometimes it works as kind of secondary character and sometimes it's just irritating. :)

    I hear that there's a baby boom dating back to the publication of these books. Lots' of babies being born 9 months after the first books were so popular - isn't that crazy? Even with women who were having a hard time getting pregnant - they're having babies!

    oh boy - I think I'll stay away from it, I haven't quite passed through menopause I don't need no change of life baby! :) lol

    My Monday Readint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hysterical about the baby boom! Funny, because there is a lot of contraceptive use in the first two books, not sure about the third - maybe that's where it all comes undone, lol! :)

      Delete
    2. lol - well, apparently these books are ....Helping ease the way, right?

      They did a news story about it on Nightline (one of our after the news news shows) Many couples, who wanted babies and were having a hard time, and many couples that just weren't really thinking about it ended up surprised (haha, don't they know when you play, you pay? lol) Anyway, It's fine, hopefully they were all wanted babies. Things have sure changed though - when I was young (oh so many years ago) I was embarrassed if people really knew I had sex to get pregnant (I was pretty shy). Not sure if I would have gone on the news to say I was pregnant because we read a book. ;)

      Delete
  6. After reading your thoughts on Fifty Shades, I am now considering taking on the challenge. I have been curious, but I knew if I waited awhile, I would find more information that would either draw me in, or cause me to turn away. Thanks! And thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely enough in the books to keep you riveted. Just laugh at the swearing and the over-the-top sex scenes! :)

      Delete
  7. I have heard so much about the 50 Shades series but don't have time to put it on my stack. I am over-booked as it is. I'm glad there is something there besides the raunchy sex. My Monday Report is here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to know what to read next from a TBR pile! I always post what I plan to read and then read something else, lol!

      Delete
  8. I liked the 50 Shades books. It's ok not to like them, don't get me wrong, but it makes me so mad when people put them down and don't know anything about them. Oye!

    I think 50 Shades Darker was my favorite :) Hope you enjoy them.

    Happy reading this week!!!
    Check out what I'm reading and enter for a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a couple of attempts before I got into Fifty Shades, and finally the hype got me into it! Funny how some books hit the media big time. :)

      Delete
  9. Glad you are enjoying the series. Hope you get lots of reading in this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only ever seem to read one, maybe two books each week. Just never been a fast reader! I love hearing that people read four or even seven books like you! I would so get through my TBR pile much quicker if I could do that! :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a message. You have made my day! xx